Thursday, September 26, 2013

A learning proposal

こんにちは!

While I was able to successfully use flash cards to learn the hiragana syllabary. Soon comes the time for katakana--a similar syllabary which is used when writing foreign loanwords. For example:

English      /      Hiragana     /       katakana

America           あめりか         アメリカ
computer          こんぴゅた  コンピュタ

In everyday Japanese, the katakana spelling is used. So how should I prepare my learning of the katakana form?

Unlike my work with hiragana in which I learned that と is pronounced /to/ and じ is pronounced /dgi/,  this time around, I believe that a wiser way to study is to stay within the Japanese language system. Thus this time around, ト will match with と and ジ will be paired with じ. Since I already know the hiragana pronunciations, I can both re-enforce my knowledge of the hiragana syllabary and learn to associate the katakana syllabary at the same time. Overall, theoretically speaking, this should be a fairly successful method. (Although not as impactful as a personal need to use the scripts, but it will help.)

Please feel free to make comments, suggestions, or questions!

さようなら!

No comments:

Post a Comment