Thursday, October 10, 2013

By Any Other Name...

こんにちは!

Today, I have my second Japanese test. One of the questions that we have been forwarned about is: "Write your full name in katakana." And this got me thinking about the concept of names.

When asked about the meaning of one's name, most English speakers will tell you that it is just a name. Most people tell me that English names don't mean anything. I consider this a bit of a lie. While names are not normally used in the average conversation for an everyday meaning, names are always meaningful. Don't believe me? Google baby-naming sites and find your name.

My full name is:

James  -->  "supplanter, usurper"
Thomas  -->  "twin"
McAlister  -->  "son of Alister (Alexander)"

So, obviously, my name means something...but it is sorta difficult to summize the real meaning of such a name and the impetus for such a combination of meanings--however, in English speaking cultures, heritage naming is common (James from my father; Thomas from my maternal grandfather). Why they had those names, I cannot be sure.

So, in about an hour, I am going to sit down and handwrite: トム マカリスター

Phonetic translation just seems kinda bland though. In Spanish class, I was Tómas. In Russian class, I was вадим (Vadim) -- if I remember correctly. But, by far, my favorite name has been the Chinese name (which my wife gave me): 逸君 (YiJun). I love this name because the character 逸 has two variant meanings: 1) relaxed, or 2) runaway/escape. 君 is simply "gentlemen" in most contexts. The 逸, I felt, was a perfect descriptor because I like to have a relaxed attitude most of the time. However, I left all that I knew in America to try to make a life in Asia--I was escaping a life I did not enjoy, and I am better off for it today.

But, now that leaves me with a rather bland and meaningless name...トム. What name should I use to mold a new "language ego", my persona. In Chinese, I am much bolder and brasher yet modest. I was unsuccessful at translating my Chinese name to Japanese...it came back as "亦 - 6月"...whatever that means...

Any ideas on good names? I have long been a fan of Toshiro Mifune and the director, Akira Kurosawa...Akira was also one of my first animé experiences....Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions!

さよなら!

No comments:

Post a Comment