Thursday, October 24, 2013

Leap of Faith

こんにちは!

Being a novice language user, especially in the classroom environment, one easily forgets how playful language can be--and how useful basic structures are for learning.

The first sentence structure learned was:

      わたしはだがくいんせいです。

1st.sing-Topic  graduate student  [copula].

    I  am a grad student.

So what does that really teach me? Well, Chomskyites will tell you that this is an opening to infinite sentences. By knowing a basic structure, we can fill in that noun phrase with whatever noun we want. I have made a quick list for myself...I hope there aren't many mistakes.

What am I?    (わたしはなんですか。)

I am...

  • a Japanese student.  にほんごのがくせいです。
  • a teacher. せんせいです。
  • a man. おとこです。*
  • a father. ちちおやです。*
  • a writer. さっかです。*
  • a scientist. かがくしゃです。*
  • a daydreamer. くうそうかです。**
  • a king. おうです。*
  • a superstar. スーパースターです。*
  • a genius. てんさいです。*
  • a loser. ずくなしです。*
  • a friend. ともだちです。
* used Jisho.org and Google translate to choose the best term
** lit. "visionary", selected by Google translate and reviewed in Jisho.org

So, what nouns would you use to describe yourself? Leave sentences and translations in the comments!

さよなら!





No comments:

Post a Comment