Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Conjugation Aggrevation

こんにちは!

Chinese has spoiled me. Sure there are challenges in learning a tonal language (the fact that "shi" can mean many things from the number 10 to poop to the copula [be-verb] to affair depending on the context and pronunciation). With all that complexity--there is a simplicity in the grammar that means I never need to change a word to fit the tense (time/aspect). All that I needed to do was add a word to the sentence (过 guo and 了le for past tenses, and [正]在 [zheng]zai for the immediate time, i.e. progressive). It is much easier to remember a limited set of characters to add to a sentence than it is to remember a system of conjugations.

Yesterday, I learned about Japanese present tense conjugations. Apparently there are three types of verbs (as far as my professor has taught us).


  • る-verbs (みる to see/look at、ねる to sleep)
    • To create present tense: -る +ます
    • みる-->みます
    • ねる-->ねます
  • う-verbs (のむ to drink、はなす to speak)
    • To create present tense: change -_u to -_i +ます
    • のむ-->のみます
    • はなす-->はなします
  • Irregular verbs (for another post....)
The problem I have is that かえる is considered an う-verb and not a る-verb. Why?  I will need to investigate this more as I learn. For now, just remember that it is かえります for the present tense.

Also here is a link for more information about Japanese verbs including more examples, exceptions, and tenses: Quick-How-to Japanese Verb Conjugation.

While I think I have raised more questions than answers, this is what it is like to be a beginner...Please feel free to comment, add information, and help me and my readers better understand the basics of verb conjugation.

さよなら!

P.S. I am looking to link with other blogger in the areas of linguistics, Asian languages, Asian culture, and language acquistion. Please email me at mcalister.thom@gmail.com to share links!

No comments:

Post a Comment